Break Your Tooth? Know How You Can Fix It

There are several viable methods to fix a tooth, but some methods are better in certain situations. Here are several ways that you can fix a tooth that breaks.


Do you have a small piece of the tooth that broke off? If so, your dentist may be able to fix this problem using dental bonding. It's a process that will fill in the missing part of the tooth with a natural colored resin, then cure the material with a special light so that it is solid. Bonding by itself is great for small repairs, but not for all situations.

Bonding with a Partial Crown

If a large part of the tooth is broken and there is not any pain, then the solution will be a partial dental crown that is bonded directly to the tooth. The dental crown will cover the parts that are missing, and bonding material will hold the crown to the tooth. It can be a great alternative to some of the other options out there, but it is only viable when you are not experiencing pain.

Root Canal with a Full Crown

Any pain caused by the broken tooth means that the root has been exposed and damaged. Your dentist will recommend that a root canal is done to help deal with the pain, and then a full crown will be placed over the tooth to protect it. A full crown will be necessary because the tooth will be weak after a root canal, and the crown helps get it additional strength.


The damage to the tooth may be bad enough that your dentist will recommend pulling the tooth. You'll then have several options to replace it, starting with a dental bridge. This is ideal for situations where you have two healthy teeth that surround the gap. Two crowns are placed on those teeth, and it supports a fake tooth with a bridge that goes between them.


One of the best solutions to a missing tooth will be a dental implant because it will be a permanent solution to your missing tooth. The process involves integrating a titanium post to the jawbone. Once it heals, a crown is placed on top of the post to give the appearance of a natural tooth.

You won't know what the best solution is until you visit a dentist, such as Hyten David W DMD. They'll be able to recommend a procedure that will work for your specific situation based on the damage that was caused.